Here at Bils & Rye we love to shout from the rooftops about ceramics! This year will see our inagural emerging potter show, timed to run around Ceramic Art York. From the 1st September 2016 to the 31st October 2016 we will show a selection of ceramics by emerging makers from the UK and Ireland.
Applications to the show are open now until the 15th July for makers who can satisfy the following critirea:
- Less than 3 years post graduation
- Less than 5 years working from own or shared studio
In the first instance email application should be made here.
The following rules will apply for the show:
- Closing date, 15th July 2016
- Application needs to show 3 pieces of work.
- No costs to the applicants, short-listed makers will be required to send one sample piece.
- Work needs to be coded, photographed and a brief description of technique, clay, glaze and firing. Sizes are also required.
- The show will run from 1st September 2016 to 31st October inclusive.
- One participant will have their work showcased at the Cambridge Art Fair on our stand.
- Key pointers for applicants are form, finish and the artist's fingerprint. (When selecting work for the gallery, we look at these attributes along with a clear fingerprint)
- Entrants must be either less than 5 years into their career or 3 years post graduation.
- Successful applicants will be asked to not show their work within a 30 mile radius of the gallery for the duration of the show.
- Unsold work will be returned to the entrants at the end of the show at our expense and all work is insured whilst in our possession.
- Work will be listed on our website for the duration on a special page. Artists are responsible for supplying accurate copy for the website and images with accreditation where possible.
- Video applications are welcomed.
- We reserve the right to withdraw work during the show without warning
- Selection will be made by a panel of judges including both directors of Bils & Rye and two established ceramicists. The decision of the judges is final.
- During the course of the show, we will ask visitors to pick their favourite and this along with the views of the judges will determine a show winner who will receive a prize.
- One entrant will be selected for a small showcase on our stand at the Cambridge Art Fair in late September early October. Their work will be shown alongside Akiko Hirai, Thomas Bohle, Richard Heeley, Chiu-i Wu and Midori Takaki.
- Applications need to be made via email and include a brief resume, description of techniques and images of 3 pieces.
- Work supplied for the show will be discussed with the successful applicants on or just after the 16th July. The directors of Bils & Rye will endeavour to visit the studios of all successful applicants prior to the show, however this may not always be possible.
- Applicants need to be resident in Great Britain, Ireland and have the correct documentation to allow them to work in that country.
- Artists currently on show at Bils & Rye are excluded from entering the competition.